The purpose of the privacy statement is to give you a clear picture of how we use your personal data, our commitment to protecting your personal data, the rights you have and the possibilities to control your data, and the protection of your privacy. This privacy statement includes the following information:
Who collects or processes your personal data?
Biodiversity Genomics Europe (“BGE” or “we”) is responsible for all personal data collected via the website www.biodiversitygenomics.eu or by requesting information or documentation and/or when subscribing to BGE’s newsletter.
Biodiversity Genomics Europe
Naturalis Biodiversity Center
2333 CR – Leiden (The Netherlands)
Jose Alonso is the Data Protection Officer of Biodiversity Genomics Europe. He can be reached via email@example.com.
What personal data does BGE collect?
Below you will find an overview of the personal data that we process:
- E-mail address
- Other personal data that you actively provide, for example, by indicating your position or by expressing your interest. This can be indicated by you via the website, in correspondence or by telephone
- Internet browser and device type
If a number of personal details are indicated on the website as mandatory (indicated with an asterisk [*]), this will be requested exclusively to provide the requested services, such as sending information.
For what purpose does BGE process your personal data?
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To understand where our membership comes from geographically and scientifically;
- To understand the needs of our community (e.g. infrastructure, training, communication platforms, etc.);
- To communicate with you, e.g. via newsletter to inform you about changes and new developments in the project.
BGE uses essential cookies. BGE only collects the minimum amount of data required to fulfil these objectives (see below).
What is the legal basis for the collection of these data?
(a) Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
(b) We have a legitimate interest in advancing genomic science. For this purpose, we seek to understand the potential opportunities to improve scientific developments within our scientific community and the needs that still need to be addressed.
How long does BGE keep your personal data?
We do not store your personal data for longer than is strictly necessary to achieve the purposes for which your data are collected. We use the following retention periods for personal data:
- Newsletters: when unsubscribing from a newsletter, your data related to this newsletter will be deleted no later than two weeks after an opt-out
- With an information request, your data will not be stored for longer than seven years
Will BGE share your personal data with third parties?
BGE will share your personal data with third parties if this is necessary to comply with a possible legal obligation.
BGE will share your data with commissioned marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp) and other agency (s) (e.g. web designers) for the purpose of take care of mailings, improve the website (including checking and improving forms on the website). These processing party (s) will also have access to the Google Analytics data of our website, in order to improve the user experience within the website.
BGE may share aggregated data with other third parties, in which case you will not be identifiable. Your personal information will not be shared outside of BGE without your permission.
What type of cookies, or similar techniques, does BGE use?
Only technical and functional cookies are used on our website. And analytical cookies that do not infringe on your privacy. A cookie is a small text file that is stored on your computer, tablet or smartphone when you first visit this website. The cookies we use are necessary for the technical operation of the website and your ease of use. They ensure that the website works properly and, for example, remember your preferences. We can also use this to further optimize our website. You can opt out of cookies by setting your internet browser so that it no longer stores cookies. In addition, you can also delete all information that was previously saved via the settings of your browser.
The Analytics cookies we use are from Google Analytics, a web analysis service offered by Google Inc. For proper processing, in accordance with privacy legislation, we have concluded a processing agreement with Google. Within Google Analytics, we have anonymised the IP addresses and the sharing of data with Google has been turned off. There is also no use of other Google services in combination with Google Analytics cookies.
How does BGE protect your personal data?
Access is limited to only those within BGE who require access to this personal information and who are authorised to do so, as decided by the BGE Executive Board. If you have the impression that your data is not properly protected or there are indications of abuse, please contact us via email@example.com.
What are your data protection rights?
You have the following rights as per the GDPR:
- Right of access: you have the right to know what personal information BGE holds about you;
- Right to rectification: you have the right to request BGE to rectify any inaccurate or incomplete information;
- Right to erasure: you have the right to request that BGE deletes the personal information it holds;
- Right to restrict processing: you have the right to restrict BGE’s processing of personal information about you;
- Right to object: you have the right to object to BGE’s processing of your personal information in certain circumstances;
- Right to data portability: you have the right to move your personal information to another data controller;
- Rights of automated decision making and profiling: you have the right not to be subject to a decision that is solely based on automated decision-making.
How to contact the appropriate authority?
You have the possibility to file a complaint with the national data protection authority, the Dutch Data Protection Authority. You can do this via the following link: https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/nl/contact-met-de-autoriteit-persoonsgegevens/tip-ons
Changes to Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to change this Privacy Statement. We recommend that you regularly consult our Privacy Statement so that you are aware of the changes.